Monday, May 27, 2013

This marks my 4th week here in Jinja! The days can be long, and it is rarely quite here. You hear the call of Islamic prayer, chirping of bugs at night and the singing/noise of birds in the morning, and maybe a creepy sounding cat a night! I even got to see two baby goats that had recently been born and still had the umbilical cords! We sleep under mosquito nets and geckos crawl on the walls in the house. Last night I saw a roach that was a healthy size and thankfully I didn't see it this morning! I have been able to to perform malaria tests and have cleaned wounds. I have waited over a couple hours to see a Dr and because of that time, the Lord allowed us to establish a relationship with another Dr that was able to see a couple of our kiddos. I still throw out the word "ya'll," maybe it will rub off on Emily and Sam before I leave here, my British friends: ). Saturday, I was able to eat with friends and ordered a bacon and egg sandwich and it was great and also got to meet with a friend and chat and have coffee, the real deal coffee! A lot of the kiddos living in the community went back to school today, so this morning there were not as many children outside. I have heard my name as "Auntie Sarah" :) and also "muzungo" which means white person. The kids will run up and yell "muzungo"! They may give you a hug, hold your hand, and often you can hear them say "bye". Sunday, for worship and time in the Word, we meet under the Eucalyptus trees. It is beautiful here, the sky, wow! You can go in to the local community and buy bananas, coke (plastic and bottled!), avocados, tomatoes, onions, African foods, and these tasty little fried breads, known as "half cakes".  Today is a special day back in the Sates, Memorial Day. A day that is often spent time off from work, cooking out, spending time with friends, go the pool. We live in a very privileged nation! Thank you to the men and women who have fought for our freedom in the land of the free and brave. Until next time,
                                                                                          Auntie Sarah :)

No comments:

Post a Comment